Mixed Media With Maps
Art and Craft Ideas Using Maps for Decor
I have always loved maps. Even in grade school I loved drawing maps! The above photo is part of my updated mixed media collage; I added the maps two years after “finishing” the piece! Be sure to see my “before and after”; just click on the link or photo! The following is more handmade map inspired art and decor pieces. From wall art, clocks to a pillow and vase; all inspired from maps! Below is an amazing embroidered map by Squibblybups on Etsy! You can get your own customized neighborhood map hand embroidered!
Anatomical Heart Custom Map Art by GrannyPantyDesigns on Etsy
Upcycled Maps and Cans
Above is a fun and easy craft project ucycling maps and cans. Made from a world atlas, road map and topo map, used for pens and coins in my office. The larger coffee can has straight sides; I just decoupaged the map to the can. The smaller cans have the slightest taper making it bit of a challenge; I used Yes glue (a glue stick could work) then sealed with a clear acrylic spray when the glue was dry. You could also cut the paper a little longer and decoupage following the top of the can, then trim the bottom. Below is a decoupage mannequin head I made using an Alberta road map! Be sure to check out my tutorial for decoupaged mannequin heads.
Handmade Topo Map Earrings
Want to see more map inspired decor and art? Please follow my Pinterest board, Maps!
Do you love maps or have any cool map projects to share? Comments welcomed!
Click to Tweet: 10 cool decorating and craft ideas using maps!
Click to tweet: Like maps? Check out these fun decor & craft ideas!
Love these colors & check out my earrings! I have more emerald green earrings available!
American Miniaturist Magazine April 2014
Dollhouse Miniatures Spring Garden Feature
Spring is finally here! If you like gardens or dollhouse miniatures you must check out American Miniaturist Magazine, April 2014 where I have a two page feature of my garden conservatory and garden shop! The above photo is from another miniaturist but the photo below is my featured work:
My dollhouse garden shop is full of 1:12 scale plants, seeds packets, fun decorative garden items like garden gnomes and a flower cart full of colorful cut flowers and greens. My 1:12 scale dollhouse conservatory includes a garden with plants of all kinds including a lilac bush, rose bushes, ferns with squirrels, robins, a sunny patio and a cheery conservatory full of plants with a cozy place to sit. Be sure to click on the links or photos to take you to see even more photos!
Are you ready for spring? Do you have any garden miniature projects? Comments are welcomed below!
I am not complaining; after 50 years I find it quite amusing some of the problems some of us short people encounter! The obvious stuff like finding clothes that fit is annoying but I don’t mind getting my jeans hemmed all of the time. Nordstroms does it free plus I have a stash of denim enough to make a quilt now! People usually think I’m a lot younger which is a good thing now. Being short was also beneficial for my power lifting; too bad I didn’t discover that when I was younger! I stumbled across #shortgirlproblems on twitter and I feel connected with the world now, LOL! Here is my list of super annoying but funny problems:
1) Shopping bags drag on the ground; must either loop the handles around to make shorter or just fold the bag!
2) Can’t open my car door without having to lean back or the top of the window will jab me in the eye!
3) Always get elbowed in the eye in crowds!
4) Feet do not touch the ground in restaurant booths or in any chair for that matter and if my feet do touch the ground the desk is way too high!
5) Can’t reach in the back of my fridge must squeeze to get inside!
6) Need a stepping stool to reach inside my washing machine or afraid I might fall in!
7) Someone with a big head always sits in front of me at theaters or events.
8) Must climb up the shelves to reach things at the grocery store or have the little old lady get it for me!
9) Sinks in public restrooms are usually too high so the water runs down inside my sleeves!
10) I can never use port-o-potties….they are too high and too gross anyway!
Please add any other short girl problems to this list or if you are tall, tell me some things that I might not know about being tall. Comments welcomed!
6 DIY Projects for Home and Garden
These are my top five DIY craft for home and garden! They are all super simple and fun to do! Just click on the photos to take you to the tutorials!
1) DIY Hanging Magnetic Spice Rack or bead storage that hangs under the cabinet and so easy to make from magnetic knife racks:
Magnetic spice rack for under the cabinet
2) DIY Modern Earring Hanger made from an old metal frame and a radiator grill sheet metal from the hardware store:
Hang your earrings in style on this modern earring holder
3) DIY Painted Glass Vases: These are made from craft store paint and cheap florist vases. You can use old bottles or mason jars too! I find vases at thrift stores for under a dollar! These vases go well with my turquoise bedroom makeover!
DIY Painted glass vases
4) DIY Upcycle Thrift Store Findsinto something new with spray paint! These were all brass; the tall one was a lamp base! Notice I repainted the tray blue but I want more pantone “Dazzling Blue” to fit my decor so I must find the right color and repaint it again!
Upcycle junky thrift store finds into something new with spray paint!
5) DIY Sweater Pillows Tutorials Don’t throw away your old sweaters for these cozy pillows made from old sweaters and even a rouched shirt:
Sweater Pillow Tutorial
6) Upcycled Garden Stakes made with old vases, cups , saucers and teapots:
Upcycled Garden Art
DIY Upcycled Garden Stakes
Have you tried any of these crafts, which is your favorite? Comments welcomed!